Here’s how to drive better lead generation experiences
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur the contributors are theirs.
Lead generation is the path to growing your B2B business. This is the main strategy you will use to generate more interest in your brand. And, the first step in your sales process that will help you get more revenue.
You may already have a clear idea of what your lead generation should be like. Your lead generation strategy may be working perfectly, with years of consistent performance to prove it works. But if you want to see even better results for your business and keep it growing steadily, you’ll need to learn how to run better lead generation experiences.
Related: If You Forget Lead Generation, You Can Forget Growth
The value of experiences
Why are experiences so important in lead generation?
There are a few main reasons:
- Objective Comparative Information: Experiments allow you to objectively compare two different lead generation strategies. These strategies can differ in several ways. For example, you can compare lead generation strategies as they apply to different platforms, such as comparing Google PPC advertising lead generation with LinkedIn marketing lead generation. However, your testing can go much further by comparing two different slogans or two different product photos on your landing pages. Either way, you’ll collect objective information that can prove the value of a lead generation tactic – or prove that the tactic isn’t working at all.
- Avoidance of complacency: Experimentation is also valuable because it gives you a solid foundation to avoid complacency. Too often, business owners become complacent with any lead generation strategy that works properly. Rather than resting on your laurels and pursuing this strategy until the end of time, experimentation forces you to keep improving so that you can continue to see better results.
- A creative mindset: If you are planning other experiences, you need to think creatively. Continuous experimentation in lead generation is one way to keep your mind going. It keeps you malleable and adaptive in a highly competitive environment.
Related: 6 Lead Generation Tactics That Can Give Startups a Big Boost
How to Run Better Lead Generation Experiences
So what steps can you take to drive better lead generation experiences?
Here are some of the best approaches:
- Measure results in multiple ways: Experiences are nothing without a way to measure them objectively. However, you will want to measure the results of your experiments in several ways. For example, you’ll want to measure not only the quantity of leads you generate, but also the quality of leads you generate. Instead of just counting the number of people your lead generation tactic gets, evaluate them based on how well they fit with your target customer profile. It is possible to objectively measure the quality of leads, giving you real data on how your lead generation strategy is performing. While you’re at it, survey your salespeople to get an idea of how these prospects are buying or expressing interest.
- Start big and work your way up: When you experiment regularly, start with big changes and work your way up to smaller ones. Start by comparing different platforms and overall strategies. Then, as you get more answers, progress to more menial and ground level adjustments.
- Mix things up once in a while: Feel free to mix things up. You might have a fantastic landing page template. Or a set of strategies that have always worked well for your business. But don’t feel obligated to use them. Build something new, from scratch, and see how it impacts your lead generation flow. It’s a great way to learn new tactics.
- Compare apples to apples (when you can): the point of AB testing is to isolate a variable in order to better understand its influence in a given system. This approach only works if the variable is truly isolated, which means that all other variables are functionally identical. Whenever possible, try to perform experiments with the same demographic group, at the same time of day, with all the same conditions in place.
- Increase sample size: Generally, the larger your sample size, the more reliable your data will be. You can conduct experiments faster and more cost-effectively by limiting your sample sizes. But if you want better and more accurate results, you’ll need to increase those sample sizes and work with a larger audience.
- Keep Pushing: No business is permanently successful after just one experiment. You have to keep experimenting. And keep pushing for more if you want to succeed in generating more and better leads.
With better lead generation experiences in your business, you will be able to collect much more reliable data. You can then improve your lead generation strategy much more consistently. You don’t have to constantly experiment, but you do need to make sure that your experiments are continuous and of consistent quality. As long as you keep making iterative improvements, you will continue to see better sales results.
Related: Experimentation and A/B testing: an inevitable growth of e-commerce…